CHOCOLATE BUTTON FAIRY CAKE RECIPE
Let’s start off with a classic – the fairy cake. Easy to make, easy to eat!
150g/6oz Softened Butter
150g/6 oz Caster Sugar
150g/6 oz Self-Raising Flour, Sifted
3 Medium Eggs
1/2 Teaspoon of Vanilla Essence (Optional)
125g/5oz Sifted Icing Sugar
Food Colouring (Optional)
Your Choice of Decoration (Chocolate Buttons, Sprinkles, Jelly Beans… be creative!)
1. Pre-heat oven at gas mark 4 or 180ºC / 350ºF
2. Place 12 fairy cake cases in a cake case tin.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar until it becomes a light, fluffy mixture and pale in colour.
4. Add in the 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla essence if required.
5. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, whilst adding a tablespoon of sifted flour with each egg.
(Tip! As soon as the self-raising flour hits the mixture, it begins to react with the other ingredients and the air, affecting its rising ability. Therefore, as soon as your done with this step, get your mixture in the oven – sharpish!)
6. Divide the mixture equally between the 12 cake cases and bake in the middle of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
(Tip! Try to avoid opening the oven whilst the case are cooking as the air may cause the mixture to sink! To check if your cakes are ready, using a fork or skewer, insert this into the cake. If the fork comes out clean and is not sticky, your cakes are ready! If not, pop your cakes back in the oven for a few more minutes.)
7. Once your cakes are cool, its time for the fun part – decorating! Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, gradually adding the water.
(Tip! If icing is too watery, add additonal icing sugar. If icing is too thick, add more water. Icing is tricky to get spot on first time, therefore judge your mixture carefully.)
8. If using food colouring, add in half a teaspoon to change the colour of your icing. The more colouring you add, the dark your icing will become. Avoid adding to much colouring, in case it ruins the taste of your icing.
9. Add a blob of icing to each cake, using the back of a teaspoon to swirl the icing into a circle.
10. DECORATE! Add your buttons, jelly beans, or sprinkles to your fairy cakes. To decorate as I have, place a chocolate button onto the icing first. Then add a blob of icing on top of this chocolate button before adding the second white chocolate button on top.
(Tip! Icing acts as a glue, so use this to layer up your decorations!)
11. Once set, its time to EAT and ENJOY! 🙂