You may know from my previous posts that I absolutely love the flavours of lemon and almond, therefore when I spotted this recipe over on the lovely Tea With Erika’s blog, I knew that it would be something I’d just have to bake. The results were fabulous – a light and zingy lemon sponge with the delicious hint of almond. A perfect treat this summer!
120g unsalted butter, softened
125g caster sugar
finely grated rind of 1 large lemon
2 large eggs
125g self-raising flour
65g ground almonds
60g granulated sugar
juice of 1 lemon, strained
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, ensuring the shelving is centre. Grease and line a round cake tin.
2. Cream together the butter, sugar and lemon rind until light and fluffy.
3. Add in the eggs one at a time. Gently fold in the flour and ground almonds.
4. Pour the cake batter into the lined cake tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
5. Once the cake is cooled, mix together the sugar and lemon juice and drizzle over the cake.
Check out Erika’s blog here.
– Charlotte x
| Previous Post One Direction Cupcakes |