For my bake this week I decided to turn back to one of my favourite recipe books. I love the Marks & Spencers Simply Baking book because its recipes use ingredients that most of us have in our cupboard home. Since I was unable to decide which recipe was my favourite, I decided to start from the beginning with this sweet pear sponge.
175g/6 oz butter, softened
175g/6 oz soft brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
150g/5½ oz self-raising flour, sifted
15g/½ oz cocoa powder
2 tbsp milk
2 small pears, peeled, cored & sliced
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, ensuring the shelving is centre. Grease and line a 23cm/8inch loose-bottomed cake tin.
2. In a bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
3. Gradually add the beaten eggs. Ensure that you beat the mix throughly as steadily add the eggs.
4. Sieve the self-raising flour and cocoa powder into the cake batter and folder gently until the ingredients are combined.
5. Stir in the milk.
6. Spoon the mixture into your prepared cake tin. Smooth the top with a spoon or knife.
7. Arrange the pear slices on top.
(Hopefully you’ll do a better job at slicing the pears than I did!)
8. Bake in the centre of the oven for roughly 1 hour or until the cake is firm to touch.
9. Leave to cool in the tin before transferring to a wire rack.
– Charlotte x
| Recipe from Simply Baking at M&S |
Unfortunately, since the book is a little old now, I’m unable to point you in the direction of this specific book, however if you are looking for a new recipe book, I’d highly recommend that you check out the M&S baking range.
| Previous Recipe White Chocolate Blondies |