Christmas day is less than 24 hours away now and festive cooking is well under way in my house. The vegetables are peeled and ready to go, the turkey is on the side defrosting. So with a little spare time on my hands, I thought I’d make some quick and easy Christmas cupcakes.
120g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
120ml whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g icing sugar, sifted
80g unsalted butter, softened
25ml whole milk
Couple of drops of vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3. Place 12 cake cases in a cupcake tray.
2. In a bowl sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Give the ingredients a mix before adding in the butter. Beat using an electric whisk until the mixture is of a sandy consistency. Add roughly half of the milk and mix until completely incorporated.
3. Whisk the egg, vanilla and remainder of the milk in a separate bowl before adding to the flour mixture. Beat until all the ingredient are mixed well and smooth.
4. Divide the mixture equally between the paper cases. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Whilst the cakes cool, if you’re making frosting beat the icing sugar and butter together. Gradually add the milk and vanilla extract and beat until light and fluffy. Pipe onto your cupcakes and decorate as you wish.
6. If you’re making plain icing, simply add a little water to your icing sugar and spoon onto your cupcakes.
This is my attempt of a Christmas tree, complete with snowflakes and baubles!
Gingerbread icing shapes with gold and silver baubles.
(You can buy these in all supermarkets!)
Finally, I hope you all have a lovely Christmas and I wish you all a very happy and healthy new year!
– Charlotte x
| Original Recipe Humming Bird Bakery Vanilla Cupcakes |
| Previous Recipe Peppermint Creams |