You may or may not have heard that marshmallows are making a comeback this season. Filled with nostalgia, a marshmallow cupcake is the perfect treat this winter. These cupcakes (recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery) were delicious, not only are the mini marshmallows super cute, but the melted marshmallow inside is a great surprise!
120g Plain Flour, Sifted
140g Caster Sugar
1½ tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
45g Unsalted Butter, Softened
120ml Whole Milk
¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
12 Medium Marshmallows
140g Unsalted Butter, Softened
280g Icing Sugar, Sifted
1 – 2 tbsp Milk
Few Drops of Food Colouring (optional)
200g Mini Marshmallows
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) gas mark 3, ensuring the shelving is in the centre.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Sift the flour, along with the sugar, baking powder and pinch of salt.
3. Add in the softened butter and beat until combined.
4. Gradually add in the milk.
5. Whisk together the egg and vanilla extract separately before adding to the cake batter.
6. Give all the ingredients a final mix together until combined. Try to not over-mix!
7. Divide the mixture equally between the paper cases and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool.
8. Melt the medium marshmallows in a heatproof bowl over a simmering pan of water. Leave until completely melted and smooth.
9. Hollow out a small section in the centre of each cake and fill with a dollop of the melted marshmallow. Leave to cool. Place the cake top or the ‘cake lid’ back on top.
10. For the frosting, beat together the softened butter and icing sugar until smooth and creamy.
11. Add in the milk if the frosting is too thick. Add the food colouring, if using.
12. Either stir the marshmallows into the icing or pipe a little frosting onto each cupcake and decorate with the mini marshmallows.
– Charlotte x
| Original Recipe Hummingbird Bakery Marshmallow Cupcakes |
| Previous Recipe Triple Chocolate Cookies |