I originally found this recipe on the Loving Homemade blog and it looked so delicious, I knew straight away that I had to try it myself. This sponge makes a really nice change to a Victoria Sandwich, which can sometimes be a little on the heavy side however, the thing I love about this cake is the amazing almond flavour. It gives the cake a really good kick, and its a lovely surprise!
Cherry Bakewell Sponge
200g butter, softened
200g golden caster sugar
100g ground almonds
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp almond extract or essence
4 large eggs
Filling & Icing
½ a jar of cherry or raspberry jam
175g icing sugar
5-6 tsp water or lemon juice
a few handfuls of ready-toasted flaked almonds
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, ensuring the shelves are centre.
2. Grease two round sandwich tins with greaseproof paper and a little butter.
3. Beat together the softened butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
4. Mix in the ground almonds, sift in the self-raising flour, baking powder and also add in a pinch of salt. Add in the almond essence and gradually beat in an egg one at a time. Mix all the cake ingredients together until they have all combined and a smooth, cake batter has formed.
5. Divide the mixture equally between the two sandwich tins and bake in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Once ready, leave the cakes to cool for a short while in their tins before turning them out to cool on a wire rack.
7. Spread a generous serving of jam on one side of the cakes before sandwiching the two together.
8. Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and either water or lemon juice. Stir until thick. (I’d recommend that you start with 3 teaspoons of either water or lemon juice and gradually add in the remaining liquid, just so that you can judge as you go and prevent the icing from becoming too runny. I used lemon juice for my icing.)
9. Pour the icing over the top of the cake ensuring that you spread the icing evenly over the top. Sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
10. Leave to set for a few minutes before cutting to serve.
– Charlotte x
Loving Homemade Bakewell Sponge – A Lighter Slice
BBC Recipe Cherry Bakewell Cake BBC Good Food
|Previous Recipe Lemon Swiss Roll|