Never before have I been so excited to write a blog post! I’ve been meaning make these ice cream cupcakes ever since I saw them in a magazine and this week, I finally got round to making them. I think they are perfect for summer and, it means you can have the best of both worlds – cake and an ice cream!
7 Ice Cream Cones (Halved ones, with flat bottoms)
4 oz Unsalted Butter, Softened
4 oz Caster Sugar
4 oz Self-Raising Flour
2 Medium Eggs
1/2 Teaspoon of Vanilla Essence
3 oz Unsalted Butter
6 oz Icing Sugar, Sifted
Splash of Vanilla Essence
Splash of Milk (Potentially! Only if frosting is too thick)
7 Chocolate Flakes
1. Preheat your oven to gas mark 4, ensuring that the shelves are in the centre.
2. Place a sheet of silver tin foil over a round sponge tin and make 7 holes in the foil to insert a cone in each. The silver foil will ensure that the cones stay upright and give extra support to the cone once the cake batter is added. Alternatively, you could also use a cake or muffin tray although, I think this method gives extra support.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
4. Add in the eggs, and gradually sift in the self-raising flour.
5. Add in the vanilla essence and give a final mix together until all the ingredients are combined and a smooth, creamy, cake batter has formed.
6. Equally divide the batter between each of the cones. Fill them about two thirds of the way up as these will rise in the oven and therefore you don’t want the batter overflowing as this will make the piping difficult later.
6. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Once the cakes are cooked, leave them to cool on a wire rack. With mine, I also poked a small hole in the bottom of each cone to release the steam, to prevent the cones from becoming soggy. (No soggy bottoms here!)
8. For the buttercream, cream together the butter and icing sugar.
9. Add in the vanilla essence, and if the frosting is too thick, add in the a splash of milk also.
10. Pipe the frosting onto each of the cupcake cones. If the cakes have slightly risen over the top of the cone, simply take a slice off using a knife so that the surface is flat.
11. Finally, decorate each with flake and sprinkles!
– Charlotte x
| Previous Recipe Cupcakes with Rainbow Frosting |