If you don’t fancy baking a huge Victoria Sponge, perhaps these Mini Victoria Sponges with Fresh Cream are the perfect alternative! I was really pleased with these – the cakes were light and fluffy, and the jam and cream were perfect together. A perfect treat this summer!
MINI VICTORIA SPONGES
– 4oz unsalted butter, softened
– 4oz caster sugar
– 4oz self-raising flour, sifted
– 2 eggs
– half teaspoon of vanilla essence
– 300ml whipping cream
– raspberry jam
– icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4. Place 12 cupcake cases in a fairy cake tin. (Tip! Since the cakes are taken out of their cases once cooked to cut and fill them, I’d recommend using any spare cases you have lying around or just simple, plain ones – just so you don’t waste any fancy or pretty cases you may have)
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl until a creamy mixture forms.
3. Gradually sift in the self-raising flour, adding in the eggs as you go and mix.
4. Stir in the vanilla essence.
5. Divide the mixture equally between the cake cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. (Tip! To check if your cakes are ready, using a fork or skewer, insert this into the cake. If the fork comes out clean and is not sticky, your cakes are ready! If not, pop your cakes back in the oven for a few more minutes.)
6. Once the cakes are cool, remove them from their cake cases and cut each of the sponges in half.
7. Whip the cream either using an electric or hand whisk until the cream thickens and soft peaks begin to form. (Tip! Be careful not to over whip the cream. To avoid over-whipping ensure both the cream and bowl are chilled and always start by whipping the cream slowly. If you whisk too fast, the cream can very easily separate – as I have found out on many occasions!) If you want a sweeter cream, add a little icing sugar to the mixture.
9. Dust each cake with icing sugar. (Depending on how much mixture you fill each of the cakes with, these can become a little heavy – so do take care!)
– Charlotte x