This Easter I was lucky to receive not one, but two (!) Cadburys Wispa Easter Eggs and so have gathered a little collection of chocolate bars. Oddly enough, I’ve been a little slow working my way through these and so thought why not use these in one of my recipes as you can’t get much better than having cake and chocolate together, right? So I hit the internet looking for a recipe, and this is what I came up with….
– 100g/4 oz Unsalted Butter, Softened
– 100g/4oz Caster Sugar
– 100g/4 oz Self-Raising Flour, Sifted
– 2 Medium Eggs
– 25g Cocoa Powder
– 100g/ 4 oz Unsalted Butter, Softened
– 100g/4 oz Icing Sugar, Sifted
– 75g Cadburys Chocolate, Melted
– 1 or 2 Wispa Bars (Alternatively you can choose any other kind of decoration or simply leave them plain with frosting)
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark number 5, ensuring the shelf is in the centre.
2. Place 12 cake cases in a cupcake tin.
3. Cream together the softened butter and the caster sugar in a bowl.
4. Gradually add the self-raising flour, eggs and cocoa powder and stir until a smooth creamy mixture forms.
5. Divide the mixture equally between the cake cases and bake in the centre of the oven, gas mark 5, for 15 minutes.
6. Whilst the cakes are cooling, its time to prepare the buttercream frosting! Cream together the butter and icing sugar.
7. Either in the microwave or in a bowl over a simmering pan of water, melt the Cadburys chocolate. Leave this to cool for a few minutes.
8. Add the melted chocolate to the butter and icing sugar and mix until a smooth, creamy frosting forms.
9. To each cake, either pipe or spoon some of the frosting.
10. To decorate roughly chop up the Wispa bars and sprinkle on top of the frosting. (Keep the Wispa bars in the fridge beforehand so that when it comes to chopping them, they don’t melt with warm hands! I very quickly learnt this after making these mint chocolate cupcakes!)