I remember first making peppermint creams way back in primary school when we made them as a Christmas present. Seeing as we’re well into the festive season, I thought it’d be fun to give these another go, turning a simple sweet into a pretty Christmas gift. They’re perfect to give if you’re on a budget this Christmas or if you simply fancy adding that personal touch to a present, I’d definitely recommend you give these a go, not only do they look cute, but they’re delicious!
1 Egg White
450g/ 1lb Fondant Icing Sugar, plus a little for dusting
1-2 Drops of Peppermint Oil or Essence
Green Food Colouring (optional)
150g Dark Chocolate, good quality, at least 50% cocoa
1. In a bowl, whisk the egg white until stiff and peaks form.
2. Gradually sift in the icing sugar and mix until firm.
3. Add one to two drops of peppermint. (The trick is not to add too little, but to also not to add too much! 1-2 drops is plenty!)
4. Add the green colouring to give a food peppermint colour. If not, leave white.
5. On a clean surface, lightly dust with icing sugar and kneed the fondant. Place in a polythene bag and leave at room temperature for one hour.
6. Line two baking trays with baking parchment.
7. Roll out the fondant to 5mm thickness. Using a 4cm round cutter, cut approximately 40 circles.
8. Place the rounds on the baking trays and leave in a cool place for 12 hours, or overnight, until completely set and dry.
9. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until melted.
10. Dip each peppermint round into the chocolate, covering one half of each sweet.
11. Place the sweets back on the backing tray and leave for 1 to 2 hours to set.
12. If giving as a gift, put a handful of sweets in a clear cellophane bag and tie with ribbon.
- Charlotte x
| Original Recipe by Simple Pleasures |