Please don’t think I’m strange but, up until the point of baking these cupcakes, I had never eaten Nutella before. Is that weird? It is isn’t it? Well now I’ve had my first taste of Nutella – I LOVE IT. I don’t know how I’ve lived so long without it. Anyway, if you’re a Nutella fan (like me now!) I’m sure that you’ll love these cupcakes. They have the great hazelnut flavour whilst still be a light and chocolatey sponge.
100g Plain Flour, Sifted
20g Cocoa Powder
140g Caster Sugar
1.5 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
40g Unsalted Butter, Softened
120ml Whole Milk
250g Icing Sugar
80g Unsalted Butter, Softened
25ml Whole Milk
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/Gas Mark 3. Place 12 paper cases in a cupcake tray.
2. In a bowl sift the flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar, baking powder and salt and give the dry ingredients a quick mix together.
3. Add the softened butter, along with the milk, egg and Nutella. Beat the ingredients together using either an electric whisk or wooden spoon.
4. Divide the cake mixture equally between the 12 cake cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until they spring back up when gently pressed.
5. Once baked, leave to cool in the tin for a few moments before transferring the cupcakes onto a wire rack.
6. For the frosting, cream together the icing sugar and softened butter. Gradually add in the milk, along with the Nutella. (I only used 20ml of milk, as I felt this was all I needed, so just judge as you go)
7. Either spoon or pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. You can then add hazelnuts for decoration, but this is optional.
- Charlotte x
| Original Recipe The Hummingbird Bakery |